Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dr. Seuss Day

So a couple Tuesdays ago it was Dr. Seuss day. I wasn't planning on doing anything for it since William doesn't seem quite ready and he's not all that into the Dr. Seuss books (plus, I haven't even pulled ours out). But then I found out that morning I would need to work because Carol was sick. So what do on Dr. Seuss day with, oh, ten minutes of prep time?

Well, first I looked to see what Dr. Seuss books I had on hand since I wouldn't be able to go to the library- exactly two. Horton Hatches the Egg and Oh, the places you'll go! Hmmm. I hadn't seen any activities on the blogs I check frequently. So what to do?

Well, we grabbed our stuffed elephants and read the book. I had remembered an elephant activity I had seen and so I tweaked it some and came up with this:
The kids enjoyed having their hands be the "trunk" of the elephant. It was a lot of fun.
Of course, we had to have green eggs and ham (sans book) for lunch. I was worried they wouldn't touch it- but they loved it.

When the older kids got home from school we read Oh the places you'll go and tried to recreate the cover as we talked about "places you'll go". We used photo booth to take pictures and and them on top of their clay spiral. I hadn't planned on it, but they were excited to use the effects photo booth has- so I let them. Everyone had a lot of fun with it. Finger painting, sculpey clay and photo booth- what's not to like?


And that concluded our last minute "suessebrations"!

3 comments:

Rob and Marseille said...

wow that is awesome!!!

The Francis Family said...

You are so creative Andrea! I'm glad I have you as a friend! Also, I'm so impressed that William can match his shapes! We haven't even tried that yet!

The Francis Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.