Friday, July 23, 2010

I have Never seen him so Happy

Last year we did the Lifeline of Ohio "Dash for Donation" 5k as a family. It was an incredible experience. I was determined to be a part of it again, and every year. So on July 10th, our family trooped out to go participate.
They have what they call the Mascot Chase for all the kids. It is so fun. They have 10-15 mascots from the college, professional teams, and restaurants which the kids then chase for 50 yards. I signed up William for it this year because he loves to run. I wasn't really sure how it would go, though. He was going to be admist throngs of children, possibly scary mascots, and also have to focus on going the same direction. I knew he was capable of running 50 yards, I just wasn't sure if he would run it straight, or stop to pick up rocks, sticks, poke the cracks, etc. So I was a little nervous.
We got there, put on his T-shirt and told him he was going to be in a race. He was SO excited.
He was simply in awe of the mascots.

They lined up the kids from oldest to youngest (so that the bigger kids wouldn't trample the smaller ones). William kept working his way up to the front by saying, "mark, set, GO!!!" and would take off. After a few of these he made his way up to the front.
Everyone began the countdown from 10, around 5 William, yet again, did his own "mark, set, GO!" and false-started, I mean, took off and Jordon didn't quite catch him. It gave everyone a good laugh (and I miraculously caught it on camera).
Then they were off! I wish I had been able to be directly in front of him. I have never seen him so happy. He had the biggest smile stretched across his face as he simply laughed with pure joy at being let loose to run, run, and run with a bunch of other kids. Even if I had been able to get a better picture of him, I'm not sure it would have done his joy justice.


He did a great job running and ran all the way.

At the end, all the kids get medals and this was probably William's least favorite part because we made him stop. Although later he had fun with the medal.

As soon as we set him down after getting his medal, this is what he did- he ran. Right back the way he had just come.

While I finished picking up the rest of our registration, William and Grandma ran those 50 yards back and forth a few times.

Then it was time for the boys 5k. Aren't my boys so handsome?

My mom and I strolled (as I promised Dr. Turner that I would) the 1k. It's only half a mile and people with canes were walking it as well. I am so glad my Mom was there to stroll it with me. It would have been lonely otherwise.

The boys running in and finishing up.
James and Grandma chillin' after a hard race.
As long as we are here, we'll do this event every year. Oh, and I managed to only get teary-eyed this year- no sobbing this time.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

awe, what an inspiration to ME!

The Francis Family said...

How fun! What a great idea to have such a short run for the kids! Also, I love that you are posting for James just like you did for William! They are both adorable little boys!