Monday, June 15, 2009

Raising a Mama's Boy


William has completed the ultimate transformation into an official Mama's Boy. He want's all things Mom. Wherever Mom is, he wants to be. Dad get's the stiff arm if Mom's around. And if Dad is giving Mom a hug? Well, you can bet, William wants to be in on the loving too! As long as we distract him, though, I can slip away. He doesn't seem to mind who he's with too much, as long as he can't see Mom. I love him so much and I am so fiercely proud of him-already. I realized yesterday, though, that as much as he needs and wants me, I need him too! Jordon had to work yesterday, so William and I were on our own at church. I was able to give the Relief Society lesson, but I was SO nervous! My friend Julie watched William while I gave the lesson. When I was done and I sat down, she lifted him up to me and he immediately bestowed me with his open-mouth-slobbery-kisses, as if to say, "good job mom! I'm proud of you!" It did my heart good.

As I think about how he is a Mama's boy right now, I guess what I am hoping is that he is always a Mama's boy. Not the kind that when he gets married, Mom comes before his wife. Not the kind that feels like he can't do anything without his Mom's "okay". Not the kind who can't be independent or brave.

I want him to be the kind of Mama's Boy that . . .

doesn't doubt that his Mom knows that the gospel is true and that Jesus Christ lives
reveres womanhood
honors his priesthood at all times
serves an honorable mission and is a legend like his dad
is a gentleman and chivalrous too
will come talk to me when he has something on his mind
can be honest with me
will choose a companion that completes him and thereby help him to uphold temple covenants

So I figure I need to show him that . . .
I know the gospel is true and have a testimony that Christ lives
I am grateful and proud of my divine role as a woman and mother
I honor his father's priesthood- all the time
our home is a pre-MTC
chivalry, manners and being lady is not outdated
I am a good listener
I will be honest with him
my marriage with his father includes God and I will uphold my temple covenants

I want to be the kind of mother he will always respect.

He's the Mama's Boy. And I am the Boy's Mama. Proud of it too.

3 comments:

The Francis Family said...

I loved this post! You are such an inspiration to me! I am sure your lesson went great and it kind of makes me wish we were in the same ward! We miss you guys!!

Rebecca said...

Great family statement, I love how you put into words those feelings and made them visibly attainable. You are totally going to be a stripling warrior Mom, for sure!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!!! you inspire mothers of all ages!!! :)