Monday, April 20, 2009

mm .. mmmm. . .MAMA!!

First, some background.

1-William has three different cries that evolve through stages. The first cry is more of a complaint. It usually happens when he is happy, but decides he needs something (more attention, different toy, different position, when he wakes up, etc.). The next cry is a cry of hurt. Hunger pain, feelings in pain, bottom in pain, etc. The last one is his angry cry. He has a small temper and can get quite mad (ie when he notices your talking on the phone and you don't give him the cell phone after he has gone through stages 1 & 2 of crying)
2- William has really been experimenting with sounds. He does some consonant sounds, and every now and then, adds a vowel.

1 + 2 =
THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT

Thursday night, I need to get ready for my trip to ML. William is being super clingy and Jordon is at scouts, so I resort to just playing with him and keeping him happy. BUT I do need to go stir his carrots heating up on the stove. So I set him down. For some reason he skips stages 1 & 2 and goes straight to 3- maybe it's because of all the other times I had tried to set him down and do something within the last 15 minutes? Who knows. I rush over to the kitchen as his crying, anger and red face escalates with each milisecond. I get to the kitchen and as I stir his carrots I hear: "mmm . . .mmmm . . .MAMA!!!!" I yell back that" I'm coming, William!" and rush to do whatever he needs. In this case, pick him up.

I know that William can't say Mama on purpose or knows what it means (trust me, I've been trying to get him to do it again- without resorting to getting him mad), but it was just so cute and sweet (even if he was angry with me) and it just seemed so much that he was trying to say mama that I had to laugh and share.

7 comments:

The Francis Family said...

They'll be talking before we know it! They grow so fast! It's so fun to hear what a good "Mama" you are and gives me good ideas of how to be a better one myself. You rock Andrea!! I hope our kids will be able to meet each other soon! We sure miss you guys!!

Ty Robbins said...

That's so amazing! What an awesome experience. I'm so glad you shared.

Rebecca said...

I think the name "mom" gets more negative use than positive for the rest of our lives, that may be an exageration, I dunno! But it's rarely "DAD" that they scream. My mom told me she saw you and Steph, yup totally bummed but someday....You are giving William carrots already? Is he really that big? My goodness.

Melinda said...

He WAS saying mama, even if he didn't know it! I would count it. (I do, anyway, when Emerson does stuff like that.) So cute...even though he had to get so angry to do it. :)

Ashley and Aaron said...

That is so great! Aah the wonders of multitasking as a mother...sometimes the little guys just don't understand that we have other things to do!

Anonymous said...

I always get sad when they cry
Brianna

Gazdik Family said...

Once they learn "mom" ("mama") you will never not hear it!! I have been hearing it all day everyday every minuet for 16 years now!!
And I will miss it real bad once eveybody is gone and there is nobody calling for me..:(