Sunday, September 28, 2008

Hurricanes, Pregnancy, Tutoring/Substituting, and Showers


A few things of update that I'm not sure everyone knew.

1. We were in a Hurricane!! A dry one anyways. About 2 weeks ago we received the remnants of hurricane Ike. We had 75-80 mph winds! We just didn't have any rain. 1/3 of the city lost power- and not just for the day. For 3-8 days some people were without power. As we drove around there were fallen trees everywhere. Fortunately, we had power. The only thing we lost through the ordeal was our internet for a couple of days. We survived!


2. I have 2 jobs! Two days after I arrived here in August I applied to be a Tutor at a Sylvan Learning Center (which was also my job this summer while in Utah). I started the next week. That's been going well. It is alot different from the Sylvan in Utah where I worked. They are much more relaxed and so it is not so stressful. About 3 weeks ago I was officially hired by the school district to substitute teach! Which I am loving. I think I like it better than tutoring because I am a little more in control. At my tutoring job, I can't deviate very far from what they have planned. And each class is a new challenge for management- which I enjoy. There are many facets of teaching- none of which I have perfected or come even close, but managing students is somewhat of a strength of mine- and since that's about all you have to do with substituting, it goes well (except now I will probably get a class I can't handle:)) I've mostly done 2nd grade classes. This last Wednesday I did a fifth grade class. I was a little nervous- but I was prepared. I remembered Grandpa saying that when he substitutes he takes Louis L'amour books for the older kids since they have short stories, so they are great for older grades. I went to the library the day before and checked out Off the Mangrove Coast and a couple other of his short story collections. The kids LOVED it- especially the boys. Thanks Grandpa!!

I am enjoying substituting very much- but it also makes me miss some things about teaching my own class- mostly just my students. I really miss my students, I think about them often while I am teaching.

3. So working two jobs can make for busy days. The nice thing about substituting is that I only work when I want to. I've been trying to work about 3 days a week. If I tutor the same day I have about a half hour in between jobs. Jordon brings me dinner (he also usually brings me lunch too) and we eat it outside on a picnic table. The first day of substituting I was on my feet too much and my feet killed by the afternoon- before school was even out. I learned my lesson and have done more sitting than standing since then, and I haven't had pain in my feet. These very busy days have also been quite a blessing. We went to the doctor last Thursday and they asked me if I had been having contractions. I said no. When she checked me she said- "Well, you have been having contractions because you are Dilated to 1 cm and 40% Effaced!" I think because I have been busy- I have had no idea (plus I hear at first they are not that strong or painful) . . . if only that's how it could be for the whole 10 cm I have to get to! I have been doing fine- although we discovered that my ring is permanently stuck on my finger (hopefully it doesn't swell more) and my ankles are now not only swollen like the rest of my body, but they have (I have?) edema.







The top three photos are pictures of me at 7 months, 8 months, and almost 9 months. The next photo is one of me trying to get cooled down. Our apartment in Utah didn't have A/C. My body has turned into an inferno- it was miserable, I by far prefer to be cold. So to help me cool down Jordon would get a bowl with ice water in it for my feet (my feet and hands were always the hottest) and a pack of otter pops on my head to hopefully cool me off. I would go to bed with a fresh pack of otter pops and at Aunt Mary Jane's suggestion- a cold wet washcloth on my feet. The last picture is of some foods I craved during the first two trimesters. Tomatoes with salt and Totinos pizza!


4. We absolutely love our ward. We didn't know what we were going to do on Sunday's when we were normally at family's house for dinner and the evening. We didn't really want to sit and mope. Well- we have not had a Sunday to be by ourselves. We have invited and been invited to someone's house every Sunday we have been here. We feel like we have friends and everyone is just SO nice. Even more so after this last weekend. Janelle and Carol threw me a Surprise Baby Shower! I had NO clue. Janelle said that every first baby needed a party- Carol told her I had had one and so she added- or two or three! So they planned it and it was SO much fun. They did a great job and I was touched by how many sisters came or left presents if they couldn't come, who I am just barely getting to know, and who barely know me. I felt very overwhelmed with everyone's thoughtfulness and kindness.

I was completely surprised. Jordon and Carol were super sneaky. I thought we were going to play games at the Scharnhorsts. Carol had said they might invite another couple. Well, since we lived at the Scharnhorsts for a week and they have seen me in all my morning glory, as well as at night before bed- I didn't exactly primp myself for the occasion. In fact, I was ready for bed. When we got there we walked in and I saw all these women. I thought: Was there a relief society thing tonight? Where are all the husbands? Out loud I simply blurted, "You're all women?!" I couldn't figure out where the husbands were. Someone said a tenative "Surprise?" and then Carol poked her head out of the kitchen and said- we're throwing you a shower! Which still took a second for me to register- but thankfully it did.

5. Last item. Two Fridays ago was National Talk Like a Pirate Day. We went with two other couples to the Santa Maria. It's a replica of the ship that Columbus came to the North American Continent on. We all dressed up as pirates and then went and took pictures at the ship. It was a lot of fun!!



The End

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm loving the pictures! And, hey, congratulations on your jobs! That's great news. Are you going to work after jr. is born? Not too much longer now. Good luck with everything.

Adespain said...

My tutoring job is going to let me work once a week for just a couple of hours- whenever I feel like going back.

Substituting- well, we'll see if I'm still up to doing both afterwards. I would like to just substitute once a week or two half days. Jordon's schedule will theoretically be flexible. So we'll see.

Noelle said...

Great blog!!! I'm loving it so far and I'm only two posts in! I was really sad I had to miss your shower, I'm glad it was such a success (sneaky to get you there in your pjs!!!) I had no idea that you JUST cut your hair, it's so cute both ways :) Are you guys watching the BYU game this weekend?

Adespain said...

you bet we will be watching the game!!