Thursday, April 8, 2010

Belly Shot, Pit Stop, the National Zoo and my new favorite restaurant


First off, a belly shot a couple days before we left for D.C. I'm already feeling even bigger. I guess with only 10-12 weeks to go, that's what happens around this time. I can feel the little guy kicking all the time. It's so much easier the second time around to recognize and feel those kicks, punches and rolls. Got to love it, though- even if it does keep me awake- because I feel like it means he's doing well.

William still doesn't know what's coming, but he does enjoy pointing at my big belly and saying: "behl-yee"!



Pit stop in Maryland. Beautiful scenic overlook.





The next day, in D.C., we started off with the National Zoo!
And yes, this giant anaconda is slithering towards my son. Something about William awakened the snakes. A good many of them came slithering up to the window to check out my tasty boy.
This one thought William looked so good to eat, it repeatedly bumped up against the glass.
Ahh, my little snake charmer.
Even the turtles and giant tortoises (no picture) got moving when William came to check them out. They actually moved faster than I imagined they would.

But as much as William loved all the reptiles, his favorite thing to do by far was to find something he could climb up and jump off of- including some guy's skull.



We tried the lions and tigers, but they were all sleeping. It was okay though, because there was a continuous ledge for William to climb up, jump off and sit down on. It was actually probably one of his favorite exhibits since he didn't need our help to do any of those things.


William loves aquariums, so he enjoyed this one with Amazonian fish in itHe especially likes aquariums with ledges where we can stop for a rousing rendition of "the wheels on the bus". Not sure what the constipated look is about.

Then we went through the tropical section- which was fun because the animals are just loose- even the monkeys!


There was a sweet indoor section that followed with giant globes of the earth and plenty of buttons to push. I suppose you could also actually learn something too.



Then we went to the petting zoo area where William learned to say "moo".
Lastly, we waited in a super long line to see the giant panda (who was asleep) since our zoo in Columbus doesn't have one. All in all, a great day at the Zoo!

BUT, our day wasn't done. The first three nights of our stay, we stayed with Tia Isabelita and Uncle Richard. We really enjoyed getting to know them better. I think in English we are second cousins, but Aunt is just much better. Well, they totally spoiled us while we were there and took us out to eat after we got home from the zoo.

They took us out to eat at McCormick and Schmick's and I will forever be changed. The food, simply put, was divine. EVERYTHING they served was a new level of deliciousness. Clearly, I am pregnant because I am trying not to go on and on about this restaurant. Let's just say it was so good, I will be dreaming about eating there again for the rest of my life, or at least until we can afford it. Even their kids menu was delicious. We ordered the mac and cheese for William, but it certainly wasn't kraft! It was penne noodles with made from scratch-super-yummy cheese sauce. The scoop of ice cream that came with it was the best vanilla ice cream we'd ever had. Is it obvious yet, that I am obsessed with eating there again? William, although reserved with most adults, was all about flirting with the maitre d. By the time we left he was on a first name basis with her. Okay, just one last thing. Uncle Richard and Aunt Isabel wanted us to try everything, so aside from our entree they ordered us soups and salads to try as well as appetizers (and later- desserts!). All indescribably delicious. Their corn chowder was heaven on earth. William loved it, so much, that when they took his empty bowl away, he followed it with longing in his eyes and waved "bye,bye" to his empty bowl. See, I'm not the only who thought the food was amazing.

And now I'll be done, because I have some more posts to cover the rest of our wonderful stay in D.C. It was a blast and we can't wait to go back!

3 comments:

The Francis Family said...

Andrea, you look fabulous! You really really look amazing-- especially for being so far pregnant! We really should have coordinated our DC trips. It would be so much fun to see you guys again!

On a side note, do you think William could be related in some way to Harry Potter? jk :)

Jacob and Kalli Hiller said...

Ah, nothing like a satisfying meal...one of the great joys of life!! I'll keep an eye out for that restaurant, is it a chain?

Debra and JD said...

Jordan and Andrea, you three are so cute! I am happy that you are taking some time off school to see and do a few local things. We had to cram a ton in our last year in San Fran because we just didn't take advantage of all the opportunities. Plus it keeps you ALL sane! talked to your Mom last week...I caught her up on you! haha