Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Birthday



These are the new shoes I got for my birthday. Spiffy, huh? I needed new running shoes since my feet grew during my pregnancy and we're running a marathon in the fall. So, speaking of my birthday . . . .
April 25th. The first 5k on our road to the marathon. We left the house at around 8:15 so we could get there in time to register before the race started at 9. As we were driving on cosgray, the road the race was located, we see a finish line, people, tables, etc. We pull in. Hop out and I approach a table to register. As I do this, the lady informs me that the race has already started. It started at 8 am. The kids race starts at 9. Hmmm. I was perplexed. I was positive it had said 9 on the website. I run back to the car to tell Jordon. Dejected, we decided to go to a metro park and run around there instead.




Running through the metro park was a lot of fun. It was a big park, so we decided to just keep walking around and exploring. The phone rings and its Carol, "Where are you?! Did you run your race?"
"Well, that's a funny story .. . " I proceed to blabber on and explain what happened.
"Really? Only kids? Because we're here at your race and there's a lot of adults."
"What!?"
"With a sign and everything."
So it turns out, there were TWO races on the same road within a mile of each other. We stopped at the wrong race. And that would have been my first 5k where someone was holding a sign for me. Oh, well. At least I know I have a great friend!

So then we went home and got ready for a picnic and a surprise afterward. We went to Franklin park in downtown Columbus. It was a gorgeous park. Here are some pictures from the picnic.




Then we took a walk.

As we walked around this huge, beautiful park we came to the back of a building. It had these gorgeous staircases leading up to it. We could here music coming from the inside. And, best of all, I could see these ginormous, we're talking the leaves alone 10 feet long, palms. I was so excited I told Jordon, "Let's go inside!"
"I don't think we're supposed to, see the chair blocking the door?"
"I don't see a chair. Besides, we'll just take a peek." I pleaded.
Jordon reluctantly agreed. So we went up and all we could really see was the back of the DJ station. So we continued around the building. I am bursting with excitement. I am thinking and trying to figure out what is this building?! It's in a public park, so it should be open to the public, right? Then I spot a side door.
"Jordon! Let's try this one."
"It doesn't look like we should."
"Aww, come on! Where's your sense of adventure?!" I accuse him.
"It's thinking I have a surprise we need to get to."
"Oh."
"Let's just go around to the front really quick since it is your birthday."
So we hurry around and walk inside and this is what we see.




I am really excited by now, and I can't quite tell what the building is. As we continue in we discover that lo and behold, it's a conservatory!! A really super awesome looking conservatory! So then I am thinking to myself, I wonder if Jordon would be okay if we were to be spontaneous and just splurge a little to see this place. It looks so cool! But there IS his surprise, but maybe because it's my birthday . . .
As I mull this over we walk by the front desk and the women there asks if she can help us. I look to Jordon expecting him to be looking at me so we can discuss this when he says, "I need two tickets please."

What!? We didn't discuss if we wanted to be spontaneous!! What is he doing?!?
Then my most amazing husband says: SURPRISE!
He had planned it all along.
The rest of the pictures are pretty much all from the conservatory and the butterfly releasing we attended. It was SO MUCH FUN!!






William loved seeing EVERYTHING around him. Not to mention, he wanted to eat it all.




Some of the butterflies released.

As we were sitting by this pond we watched a butterfly fly to low and get it's wings too wet. It was stuck in the water. Then some of the fish begin to try and nibble at it. Jordon thought fast and went and grabbed a butterfly net he saw not too far away. It was just in time too, because then the creepy carp came with gaping jaws to get the butterfly, but Jordon saved the day!



The Butterly with some of it's wing nibbled off.

The Creepy Carp.



Anyone need a seat?





Random Pics.

William tuckered out at the end of our tour.

We ended the day by going home. Jordon let me read for a couple of hours while he:
Bathed William.
Watched William.
Cleaned the living room and kitchen.
Made a delicious candle light dinner.
Put William to bed.

I love guilt-free reading time. One of the best presents EVER.
We enjoyed dinner and then went outside and sat by our window in our camping chairs. We pretended it was our "porch" and we enjoyed the evening just sitting and sometimes talking.

What a great day!!! And thanks to everyone who sent cards, emails, called, sang, etc. It just added to the wonderfulness!!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

ooooh, a butterfly pavilion! Way to go and almost give away your surprise, geesh. I liked all the pictures of you "picnic" aka william. So Happy 24, I have a feeling you are going to totally rock this year! Good luck with the marathon training! And better luck next time finding a race.

Jacob and Kalli Hiller said...

I knew Jordon would plan something fun. He knows just what you like! The videos of William are SOOO cute by the way. He seems like such a happy baby.

The Francis Family said...

Andrea Happy Birthday! I didn't even know when it was so I am glad it went great! I like the story of the creepy carp the best. You are a great story-teller! William is so cute and he and Tyson have to meet soon! They will be such great friends someday! We sure miss you guys!