Friday, January 16, 2009

How I Have Changed Since Becoming a Mother

Over the Christmas Break Jordon, William, Brianna and I went and visited the Park and Recreation Office of Moses Lake where I used to work. I love the women there! Well, as we visited I was informed that I had changed- I had become more mellow. Well, this got me wondering in what other ways I have changed since becoming a mother.

#1: The first and most obvious- physically. I have changed physically in many ways, but one major way is illustrated by the following (and hilarious) incident.
Grandma Hansen (singing and dancing with William around me): Tengo una vaca lechera . . . (which means "I have a milking cow").
We all start to laugh for what I think are obvious reasons- the obvious connection between me and a milking cow.
Brianna (confused): What is so funny? (you can see the gears turning as she trys to puzzle it out) (then realization hits): ooohhh, I get it. You're singing about a cow because cows are big and Andrea is big now.
Silence . . . as everyone makes the connection SHE made . . . then a whole lot of laughter (myself included). It was too funny to not record.

#2: In a book called Baby-proofing your Marriage it talks about how women tend to get a little obsessive compulsive about some things- and guys tend to not understand the subject of their (mothers) compulsion. I thought and thought, I couldn't think of anything I'd become compulsive about.

Andrea (ponderously): Jordon, do you think I have become a little OCD sometimes?
Jordon: Yeah.
Andrea (surprised): really? I can't think of anything. I bet you can't name ONE specific thing.
Jordon (candidly): making sure he has socks on- even in his one-piece pajamas.
Andrea (surprised again): oh. i guess so. (excited) I bet you can't think of two though!
Jordon (matter of fact tone): the floor. He can't touch the floor, nor can he touch anything that has touched the floor unless it has been washed or disinfected.
Andrea (absorbing this new information and is taking the news rather well and then perks up further): well, I bet you can't think of ten things . . .
He could.

#3: Paranoia. Everywhere we go, everything we do, I somewhow, without even trying, have this magical ability of being able to envision the Worst-Possible-Case-Scenario. Okay, so maybe it's not everywhere or everything. But some things I wouldn't have thought twice about doing before William was born- suddenly become an internal dilemma of whether or not it's a good idea or safe. Can't say it's necessarily a bad thing, but it can sometimes be annoying. Jordon does NOT have this ability and we are therefore continuing to work on our communication skills.

#4: I am a better person. Becoming a mother has taught me service, patience and love better than anything else. Specifically, the love of Christ. My mother has always told me that love between a parent and child is unique, and that you can really learn how to love like the Savior. She pointed out that you love your spouse immensely, but often expect something in return. With your children, however, you love them unconditionally without expecting anything in return (especially at this stage). It's true. Happily everafter takes some work. I am blessed to be married to a man who is dedicated and willing to give 100%+ to our marriage and family. He is amazing. He completes me and helps me become better all the time. I try to always do the same for him and we expect that from each other. But, William? He's brought joy and added to the fulness of our love more than we could have dreamed possible- simply by being himself. He doesn't have to DO anything. He doesn't have to work to keep our love for him alive and strong. We love him. We just do. Nothing he ever does or does not do will change that. Our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us- no matter what we do or don't do- and their capacity to do so is beyond my comprehension. But I now have an inkling of what it is like, and I am trying to learn from it.

12 comments:

Devin said...

good observations! susan used to like scary/suspenseful movies but as soon as goose was born, she wouldn't have anything to do with 'em. still won't; nor to anything that could possibly threaten our wellbeing. :)

Jenny said...

well said Andrea!

The Elledges said...

wait until he's two...i thought i had patience but i was WRONG :)

you're an amazing mom andrea!

Rebecca said...

This was probably my favorite blog of yours! It made me laugh and gave me some great incites! Thanks for posting it.

Ashley and Aaron said...

I remember realizing after Finn was born that families really ARE the recipe for happiness. And I love the milking cow story...hilarious.

Annie said...

I hear you on the illogical paranoia...everytime I drive over a bridge (lots in our area) I make a mental plan on how to get Madelyn out if we went over. Babies make you crazy :)

Child of God said...

Andrea, I have had one of those same moments that you realize how much you have changed. I have a running list in my journal titled "Eternal Truths of Being a Mother" I had this same realization about loving your children unconditionally and that being like Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

Jacob and Kalli Hiller said...

Thanks for sharing Andrea. I liked the conversational format :)

Courtney said...

Funny stories! This makes me wonder how I have changed in the past 4 weeks that I have been a mom. Thanks for sharing!

Duthries said...

Andrea! You are simply amazing! I love the changes you have noted, and I'm interested to see what differences will come in me when I become a mother. You are such a great person. Thanks especially for sharing the last change. :) I hope you are doing well.

The Francis Family said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing that last paragraph! It is such a great perspective. It is so true and yet I had never thought of it that way before. Thank you for your testimony Andrea!

Amy B said...

After talking to you the other day I realized how long it's been since I read your blog, so I'm playing catch-up. This made me laugh so hard Tom had to come see what I was laughing at. It's so true!

(Tom says, "Ten! You wanna try for twenty?" I guess he can relate too....lol!)