When I was a freshman at BYU my friend Cameron would wear a shirt that had "6th man" printed on it- very large print at that. I didn't understand it, and he explained, that during basketball season, since there are only 5 players on the court at a time, the fans/crowd is then the 6th man as they aid the team by shouting, distracting, drowning out sound, etc.
So a couple weeks ago, Jordon and I went to the OSU vs IOWA game. If you don't know your Big 10, this game was for the conference championship. It was a lot of fun to go to (and I won't talk about Tressle's conservative play calling or lack of trust in the QB). We totally felt like Block O, where we were sitting, was the 12th man. We were so loud, the sound WAS tangible. AND- we made Iowa's field goal kicker miss- twice in fact.

And if you try to tell me that we couldn't have possibly contributed, unless you were there to
feel the sound of our whole section yelling beyond the top of our lungs, stamping feet and waving towels- I just won't believe you. I just won't. Period.

The energy and excitement of the game was wonderful- and it carries over into the excitement for the marching band. What?! Forget the term "band nerd" because these guys are AMAZING and
cool. Because it was veterans day, this is an outline of the united states, they also did an eagle and waving flag and more. It was awesome. I wish the sports channels would include them when we are not watching the game in person.
Since this post is old, you may already know that OSU won and will be going to the rose bowl! I didn't realize that that was also at stake. I saw a few guys enter the stadium with roses and thought how sweet, they are planning something for their girls- but then there were LOTS of people with roses, and it clicked. After the game, the fans stormed the field. We wanted to go to, but our section was being effectively restrained. We managed to make our way down to the front, but the tension there was clearly building and it sounded and looked like it could get ugly. So we just left. We stormed the field when we were at BYU and won the conference championship and it was rather anti-climatic once you make it down on the field. So we didn't feel like we were missing much. As we were leaving, however, a news reporter and her cameraman came by and started handing out roses to everyone- including me (thus the picture)!
I already can't wait to go again next year! Go Bucks!
2 comments:
Oh how I love being at football games!
Andrea you are looking so great-seriously! I am super jealous you guys got to go to the game and I believe you could feel the energy! William is so cute with his blanket. Sometimes Tyson will wake up from his nap and just be putting his blanket on his head and laughing in his crib--kids are cool!
Post a Comment