Saturday, November 7, 2009

Some things William does


I realized I never did a detailed 1 year post for William. Now, the line is a little blurry of stuff he did exactly before or after the one year mark. Regardless, these are things I love about my boy that I don't want to forget (which is why we have a blog- right?)
*I LoVe the way you figured out how to sit in our laps so we could read you a book. I remember watching you give me a book- clearly you wanted to read it together- but clearly, I was not in the right position. I helped you turn around and sit down. Not long after, you could do it on your own, BUT this is the process.
You hold out the book to us with some sounds that let us know you want to read together
We take the book
You turn around 1-2 feet away from us and then walk backwards with deliberate steps
You are not always aligned correctly with us- but you don't notice and you just go!
After so many steps, without looking back to check, you sit down.
*somehow* you make it into our laps
Then you cross your feet and relax into our body and our hearts melt

* I love the way you are learning to play with cars and move them around the living room
*Although I complain, I secretly really really love that you are a climber. I love that you are an active healthy, on the go, never stops moving, BOY.
*You love to carry baskets around on your arm.


*I love all your little sounds. They would be impossible to describe in words- they are small sounds, with small differences, but they convey so much meaning
*which is maybe why although you seem to understand me when I sign words to you- you still don't really sign (except for "more" aka "I want")

*the stairs are still fascinating to you and you still love to be chased up them, only now you are much faster!
*I love watching you try and run! actually, there isn't really any "try" about it- you run! And your excitement about being chased shows in your whole body. It is SO cute.
*You can do high fives
*You can also do the signal for Touchdown! But this has backfired on us and we haven't really encouraged the continuation of it. We ended up feeling "trained". At dinner you would throw your arms up and keep them there until we followed procedure by putting down utensils and bites in order to throw up our arms and yell, "Touchdown!" It must have been pretty entertaining because the frequency of this action prevented us from really being able to eat or talk at dinner.
*You still read books to yourself. You will sit down on the floor (and cross your feet), the couch (and cross your feet), or the stairs (the first step). Those are your favorite places to read.


*You like to "call" for loved ones. If Dominic and Amelia (the children I nanny) are upstairs when we get there, you will "call" for them at the bottom of the stairs. You will also knock on our bedroom door and "call" for Dad. When I tell you he isn't there, you "call" for him down the stairs.
*You can say mama, dada, ba (bita), boh (ball), and many other things we can't decipher, but it sure sounds like you are conversing.
*You like to laugh if everyone else
*You take a bit of time to warm up to people. It's not the easiest thing in the world for a stranger to get you to smile. Many have tried, few have succeeded (and when I say many, I mean it! Every outing it happens multiple times).
*You still love the kitchen and like to be involved in what's happening in the kitchen. Cooking, cleaning, creating . . . doesn't matter. You want to be there.




*As soon as you hear the door opening, you take off running to go greet Dad.
*When you pick up something small off the floor that you know you're not supposed to have, you come and bring it to me! I love, LOVE, love this!
*When I come to get you after a nap I love to see your feet poking through the crib rails and on top of the bumper while you lay on your back just chillin' and humming away. So cute.

*You LOVE the outdoors. We go outside everyday and you HATE coming back inside. No matter how long we have been outside or how cold it is. It's all irrelevant when it comes to your love for the outdoors.

*Did I mention that you weaned yourself? That was awesome. It took a month and a half, but you did it so methodically, dropping one feeding every week or so. I couldn't have planned it better.
*You like to be silly. Your latest method is taking clothing and putting it on top of your head and running around with it and sorta yelling.
*These days, almost anything goes up on top of your head, then around the back of your neck. You especially like to do this with clothing, ties, headphones, ribbons, necklaces, etc.
*You are still an amazingly good eater. You eat as much food as I do (although not as much as Dad).

*You love balls! Throw 'em. Kick 'em. Eat 'em. You know, the usual.


*You mimc us a lot (yikes!). You will put the cell phone to your ear and a hairbrush to your hair. If I clean a spot on the couch or carpet, you do too.
*Opening and closing drawers. How could I forget? Drawers and doors. You open and close 'em!

2 comments:

SarahWilcox said...

How fun! He is growing up so fast. He is going to love all these stories! Does he really bring you the the things he knows he is not supposed to have? If so, what did you do!!!!!!!!!!! I need to teach Roslyn!!!

Debra and JD said...

Hi this is Debra Clark! We are relatives of Jordan in Bozeman. We came to your reception...but I don't expect you to remember. Anyway, Camber has liked you to her blog so I can check up on you and your cute little boy. Good luck with school . we would love to here from you and Jordan.