Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Casualties

Today, William and I went to Michael's to grab a few things. I did so- rather quickly I might add for being in Michaels- and we headed to check out. There is rarely even a line at Michael's but today there were multiple long lines at multiple registers. William was getting fussy so I was handing him these plastic toys from a bin which he would shake and promptly throw over the side of the cart. I stopped playing the pick up part of our little "game" and craned my neck to see if there was a faster line. I looked back at William because he had NOT thrown the last toy overboard. He was chewing on it. Ugh- germs. I thought and took the mesh baggie from him. Heaven! Must have been what William was thinking because to his dismay- and my horror- it was actually a bag of chocolate eyeball candies. Which we then had to buy.

My child isn't even one- does this make me a negligent mom? I wasn't planning on giving him straight up candy (of the chocolate and refined sugars variety) until he was at least 2 or 3! Will he now have 10 cavities by the time he is 6 because he will become a sugar addict? Have I destroyed his potential for healthy teeth?

I realize that most thoughts along these lines are ridiculous, but I'm still having a hard time quelling that nasty little voice. Have you ever done something that seems minor, but you can't help but feel it will have major repercussions?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh honey calm down... he prolly got not even enough to do anything. he will be fine and i'm sure you brushed like crazy when you got home. no worries!

Eric said...

Just wait, these voices of reason quiet down with additional children. In fact I think they eventually disappear all together. Malyka had her first taste of the chocolate, refined sugar food like substance when she was 4 months old. Instead of warning bells going off, I took comfort in knowing that some day we will be able to sit at the table and enjoy a nice bowl of ice cream together.

The Francis Family said...

I know how you feel Andrea! Tyson was seven and a half months old when Christian's parents came to visit us...they promptly gave Tyson raspberry lemonade (I was almost in complete panick as he was still only drinking my milk!) Later I caught Wilbur trying to give Tyson a bite of his doughnut in the grocery store--I about flipped! Needless to say, he's fine and he actually had his first taste of ice cream the other night...I'm not sure what I am actually conveying here!! Anyway...good luck!!

Melinda said...

Ha ha...last Halloween I gave Emerson a Tootsie Roll to hold for a picture because he was wearing a Tootsie Roll costume and I got distracted and he sucked right through the paper and loved it. He bawled and bawled when I took it away. It still makes me laugh. But I had some panicking moments as well. :)