Sunday, August 24, 2008

In Ohio . . . still have Intramural Connections

Well, this Sunday was MY first Sunday in our new ward. Jordon and Dad were here last week. We are really going to like it here. Everyone was very friendly, welcoming and kind. The Elders quorum is already making sure that we will have people to help us move in (whenever that may be!) and the Relief Society already has our due date so that dinners can be scheduled. We have a ward directory already and they will be giving us a welcome packet!

The Scharnhorsts have been excellent hosts (and we have done our best to be good guests) and have been so kind to have let us stay in their home while we are waiting to move in. They have been such a huge blessing- who knows what we would have done without them! They were invited for dinner tonight at another couple's house- Carol called to tell them we were here and they said- bring them on over!! Which I thought was very generous and nice of them.

When we got to church today I saw a man I recognized and whispered to Jordon- "I've reffed and supervised him in Intramurals! His wife is slender with red hair!" I remembered HIM because they had a very vocal teammate who I had carded (and later became good friends with when we had a class together)- they could sometimes be a frustrating team to officiate. I wasn't exactly sure if he would recognize me and/or what his memories would be. I remembered her
because when I was a freshman and desperate to figure out how to play soccer I saw a girl walking with cleats and asked if she was on a team- she was- and if I could join. She didn't know because she wasn't in charge. Well, it turned out the wife of this couple was the girl in charge- I didn't play with them because the roster was full, but I did find a team and got the intramural thing figured out.

So . . . then it turned out that they were the couple we were going to have dinner with!! We were introduced and the wife (Katie) recognized me and the husband (Ross) recognized me but didn't know from where, he also recognized Jordon because they had worked at the MTC, although not together. They were so incredibly nice. We totally hit it off with them and completely enjoyed our evening. We swapped intramural stories (they both remembered me as their supervisor) and Jordon and Ross talked MTC stuff. It was so much fun. One thing I was worried about was that our new ward wouldn't like doing sports- but they do! She wants to get a spring women's team together and they do basketball in the winter. So I am really excited. I will probably be going raspberry picking with Katie on Tuesday- the end goal being raspberry jam. They may be moving at the end of this year, although they want to stay in Ohio- I hope they get to stay.

They also liked to read and we talked books a little bit- which I enjoyed. What a wonderful Sunday!!

Well, this is my first post on a blog and I guess that's about it as I just sent out my mass update email yesterday. I feel like I should put in a closing of some sort to make this the end- but it's not a letter. So . . . The End.

* Our camera battery is dead, so hopefully the next post will have some pictures.

No comments: